Women in China, Japan, and Southeast Asia have used rice water as a hair treatment for centuries. But does rice water have any scientifically proven beauty benefits?
Rice water is the water gotten from rice, it can either be boiled or not boiled, it can also be fermented that is it can be left over night or for a couple of days.
Using rice water for hair
Rice water is rich in protein, amino acid, inositol, water soluble vitamins ( B group) all these nutrients are important for hair growth they help protect the hair from damage and even help the hair cells in producing black pigment.
READ MORE: Understanding Your Natural Hair
How to produce the three types of Rice water;
1. Fermented water: Wash your rice with clean water to remove dirts, let the rice soak for 30 minutes. Swirl or knead gently until the water turns cloudy,strain out the rice water and leave it to sit in a corner at room temperature for 1-2 days. Fermentation helps to reduce the Ph of the liquid, our has low Ph also. Fermentation therefore helps to restore the hair Ph balance and nourish the hair follicles.
2. Boiled water: Boil water as you normally cook rice but add double the quantity of water. Strain the water out when the rice has cooked and it’s ready for use when it’s at room temperature.
3. No- Boil water: Place rice woth clean water in a bowl, swirl with a spoon and leave to sit in the container for 30 minutes in room temperature, the longer the wait the more nutritious the rice water.
Advocates of using rice water for hair believe it:
- It promotes hair growth and adds shine to the hair
- It smoothens the cuticles and reduces the surface ace friction which helps the strands of the hair not to tangle.
- It protects the hair from damage and improves hair elasticity.
Note: Rice water is not only meant for the kitchen, it’s also good for the hair.
Try it and get back to us remember we are here to give you confidence through the best beauty guide. We got recognized by Feedspot in their list of top 40 women’s magazine with our great contents, stay tuned.
In other related: Seven Oils To Help Aid Your Natural Hair Journey
What's Your Reaction?
VouxElan is a lifestyle magazine empowering our readers to find confidence, community and joy through Fashion, Beauty and Pop Culture.